Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Struggle to Speak

Being ready to give a reason for the hope that is within me is something that the Lord daily challenges me on--no more so then when I am in class and feel the Holy Spirit's prompting to ask a probing question or acknowledge God or defend Biblical truth. I have seen that the Lord is giving me a greater passion and boldness (and desire!) to share him one-on-one with others, but I still am often hesitant to speak to someone about Jesus.
As I read about the evil that men are capable of in memoirs from the Holocaust, about the guilt and shame that haunts hedonist Romantic poets, or about the broken families and relationships of my writer friends, God is deepening my conviction in the power of the gospel alone to transform hearts and save the world. Yet, the struggle to know when to speak and when not to continues in my heart.
Walking home today, the opening line of the poem below came to me and I wrote "Struggle to Speak." The work is definitely fresh, and so I know I will probably rework and sharpen it, but I thought I would post it and invite any thoughts. May God fill you with His love and give you more opportunities to share it with others wherever He has placed you!

Struggle to Speak

The moment before question or comment:
I hold onto the thought
like the hand of my younger brother
who wants to run across the road
and pet the dog on a leash with a sparkling collar
who tugs his owner towards us.

I wonder what impulse--
Spirit within--pushes or stirs
or restrains the words
that when let go
could brave the distance and touch
or, racing forward,
cause you to do the same
into speeding impact
before they reach
and save you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I don't know if you want comments...some people make their blogs a personal thing and don't like people commenting on their posts. Anyway, I just wanted to say "I get it." I think it's something we are supposed to struggled with. The Gospel is foolishness after all right...

Blessings.